Sunday 20 January 2013

Snow Riding

Picturesque Peaslake

It's been such a cold winter with so much snow. Not knowing if Summer will ever arrive we thought well at least with the snow we won't get wet. We as South Africans are the only people who still get excited when it snows in London. 

I ordered overshoes from Wiggle and they e-mailed me to say they can only deliver in April, well technically it should be Spring in April and they will be redundant by the time I receive them. Jason lend me a pair of his. 

The first time I rode in snow was last year with Simon, that was an experience in it's own. Riding in snow is hard work. It is such a weird consistency. Last year we were slipping in sliding a lot more as the snow was thick and lose. This year the snow was more compact and the consistency of a ski slope. It was awesome. 

Saam met die Van Niekerke

I wasn't that cold, I used some instant hand warmers that my cousin had left over from playing golf in the cold and was actually quite toasty, but my feet were ABSOLUTELY freezing and I even said to the others, I wish I could defer some of the heat to my toes, my ankles was warm, but my toes so cold that I was on the brink of tears. When I heard that they mentioned tea, I overruled the option to carry on riding, cause my feet was just so cold. 

A visit to Peaslake Village Store is always a highlight, but this time I was just so relieved to be there. I said hallo to Trudy, walked to the back of the shop and took the booties off just so that I can wiggle my toes. I discovered that my toes was literally on ice... The booties were to big, so the snow came in from underneath my shoe and formed a layer of ice. I'm not lost for words often, but my toes was so cold and started to defrost whilst I was having my tea at the bus stop in silence. :(

My poor tootsies were on ice
Tea at our usual Hangout
We went all over our local playground, it was totally different than normal. So serene, so quite, so peaceful. It was snowing softly all day and you were able to hear the snow falling... tap-tap-tap... It was so beautiful and a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. 

Video Footage compliments to Simon Osborne


Rich, our token Brit shows us in which gear you should ride in this weather - he is nuts
Steph & I on top of Pitch Hill


Albert on Barry Knows Best
Steph on Carpetland hanging onto Jason's tree

No comments:

Post a Comment