Wednesday 22 April 2015

Aero Unimpress me...


Good coffee seems to go hand in hand with cycling! 

Whether cyclists really love the taste of coffee or whether it is more of an excuse to take a break during a ride or to hang out after a ride I don't know. But my route planning often revolves around our coffee stop. 

I learnt to drink strong Bialetti coffee from my good friend Kerryn when we lived together. I already had a deep love for strong coffee from my younger years, but Bialetti coffee took it to another level. 

Quite frankly put, I have become a coffeesnob!

Last year my friends started fishing on what to get me for my birthday. Zane sent me reviews of the aeropress he raved about it. I was very apprehensive and asked, "Is the coffee hot enough, is it strong enough?"

Anyway I think he got the message that TC doesn't like change and that I'm not really sure about this aeropress business. 

On my birthday Marna, Gert & Lizeli decided that they are taking non of my no change business and gave me an aeropress for my birthday. :-) 

I am not very patient or have particular steady hands. Christiaan demonstrated how to use the aeropress and made me my first cup of aeropress coffee. The next morning I attempted it myself. You basically 'build' the coffee upside down. I put the vacuum in, added the coffee and then realised I would like to adjust the level of water I would like to add. I carefully pulled the vacuum down, the NEXT moment the whole vacuum popped out at the bottom which resulted in the mess below. #aerounimpress me! 

Disaster 1

I'll need to add that I was on my way to work and that this mess was really NOT at a convenient time. I cleaned up and started the process again. Just as I added the hot water and screwed the filter on Kerryn walked in. I voiced my frustration and she said, "Move I'll make the coffee." She took the aeropress from me and confidently turned it around over the sink AND off came the front filter bit. Disaster number 2!!!


Disaster 2

We took more care on our third attempt and finally we had a delicious cup of coffee despite that by the time I left the house the coffee was cold. 


3rd Time lucky!!!


Since these disasters I have become more pro on how to handle the aeropress. I am also now a fan of the aeropress, but for a treat I still prefer the Bialetti! 

The aeropress is quicker than the Bialetti especially when you have guests. Aeropress coffee taste strong and is very smooth! 


1 comment:

  1. Hilarious / surprised I haven't heard this tale before :)
    I can vouch for the quality of your coffee making abilities, especially when teamed up with Willem's frothed milk.

    ReplyDelete