Monday 7 July 2014

Volunteering at Le Tour 2014



Months ago I had to go through the application process to become a Tour Maker which then lead to online training once I got accepted. This was followed by a co-ordination day at Copper Box, Olympic Stadium where I had the privilege to get an autograph from Ian Stannard on one of my business cards. (I think I managed to hand that one out to someone without knowing it) On 25 June 2014 I had to go to Allianz Park, home of the Saracens Rugby Club for some role specific training. I was going to be on route.
 
Finally on Monday, 7 July 2014 the day arrived that Le Tour came to London. The riders started Stage 3 in Cambridge, passing the 2012 London Olympic Stadium over Tower Bridge with the finish stretch down The Mall.

I was based in the East End at the entrance to a park with a thousand kids running around. My nerves were hanging on a string the closer the riders got to our location. With boys kicking balls around and dogs on leashes the safety of the peloton felt like my responsibility.  
 
The riders were about 20 minutes behind schedule and arrived with us as the heavens opened. 
 
The 2-man breakaway came past first and then the peloton followed not to long after them.

Team Astana hitting it hard with Vincenzo Nibali in the yellow jersey on the forefront of the peloton.

Peloton



A whole day of standing around was over in 5 seconds! The thousands of people disappeared within 3 minutes and the roads were opened again. Back to normal.

We were just in time to watch how Marcel Kittel crossed the finish line in a pub near Plaistow station as we walked back from our location.
I asked the man at the bar who won the stage?
His answer: Boris Johnson

It was fun being involved with Le Tour in this way and made me desperate to pop over to France and watch more of the stages like last year and 2011. Viva Le Tour!

 
My work buddies for the day, Gavin & Steve

Gavin will be riding a tandem with his 12-year old daughter from the border of France to Paris to watch the last stage of Le Tour.

Steve is an eager cyclist, religious studies teacher and father of four including 3-year old twin boys.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment