Friday 6 June 2014

1st Nightride for TT1 (Tango Twin 1)

Last night I had the privilege to join Iain & Lizzie for my first night ride. 

We have been trying to arrange a night ride for the past 2 months, but different training goals and schedules made it impossible until last night. I actually cancelled as it is month end at work, but Iain kept saying how nice the trails are so I couldn't resist. 

We set off up to Leith Hill, by going up The Rookery and some of Summer Lightning and then took a fun right turn onto a kind gradient which led into a fast & fun downhill. We eventually reached Leith Hill Tower following a nice singletrack climb. Singletrack up or downhill makes me so happy. 

We were riding at a steady pace and as I've said before, in my head riding with Iain & Lizzie, is riding in another league. There were times when I was grateful that I didn't wear my heartrate monitor as  I think it might've exploded or the alarm warning you of sudden heart failure might've gone off. You know when you are struggling to breathe and starts to cough that dry irratating cough... I knew recovery usually come after a climb, but as soon as I started recovering a little we up the pace a little again. Ellie Goulding's song Burn Burn Burn has been the theme song of the majority of my rides lately. I've specifically memorised the lyrics for the Hero. :) 
 


At the top of Leith Hill we were spoiled with this view.



As the saying goes, What goes up... Must go down! From here it was all downhill.




It was the first time that I rode the new section (which were under dispute and closed for a while) of Summer Lightning it starts at the tower on the left handside of the old track down from the tower. Speedy bermy fun. Nothing to hectic, well built and super fun. 

We then continued on the SL connection to the old part. Singletrack goodness, it is so well built that your bike is just flying and getting air without much effort. 

I'm usually weary of drops, but these are great, all the drops gives you momentum and lead you from one piece of fun into another. I would've been a great ambassador for Colgate whilst riding last night. 
 
Iain & Lizzie riding the night away!

At one of the junctions where we usually go right we were turning left. My front wheel was pumped up a bit hard so it literally just slipped out underneath me, my bike came to a stand still, but I kept running to the left without falling over. This was bizarre, but definitely the best crash scenario I've ever been in. 

The darker it got the faster we were riding. What you can't see, can't harm you...
 
I'm so over this training for the Hero and am appreciating putting the fun back into riding. Thank you Iain & Lizzie for another fun ride. 

Ps. Why work late when you can go on a night ride?!


No comments:

Post a Comment